Truck Accident FAQ

Questions About Accidents With Commercial Trucks

Injuries suffered by car passengers involved in accidents with construction trucks, semis and other commercial trucks are often severe and life-changing. Because commercial trucks are more than 10 times as heavy as passenger vehicles, even low-speed accidents can be traumatic. If you’ve been injured in an accident with an 18-wheeler or other commercial truck, you can find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we hear about these types of accidents.

Why do I need a lawyer for my accident with a commercial truck?

Most trucking companies have a team of lawyers and insurance specialists on staff that deal with roadway accidents. Some of the larger trucking companies have these specialists on call, and they will send them to the accident scene right away to gather information and begin building a defense for potential lawsuits before the police report has been released. Most accident victims are too overwhelmed dealing with the aftermath of the accident to take on such a well-organized effort.

In addition, you may need to deal with several different entities: the trucking company, the truck driver (if they are a contractor), a shipping company and even government agencies if poorly maintained roads contributed to the accident. In short, truck accident insurance claims tend to be pretty complicated, and hiring a lawyer gives you a much better chance of getting the compensation you deserve.

Is there a time limit on filing a claim?

Yes. In Texas, you have up to two years from the date of the accident to file a claim. However, you should call an attorney as soon as possible. The more time that passes, the more likely it is that evidence at the accident scene will be gone and the harder it will be to track down witnesses.

How can I afford a lawyer if I just lost my vehicle and I have a pile of medical bills?

We operate on a contingency fee basis. That means you only pay us if we are able to get a settlement for you – our fee is contingent on you getting a settlement check. When the case settles, our fee is deducted from your check.

My spouse was killed in an accident with an 18-wheeler. Can I file a wrongful death lawsuit?

Yes. Texas law states that a wrongful death lawsuit can be filed by the deceased’s spouse, children, parents or heirs.

For More Answers, Contact Guerrero Law

If you have questions about filing a lawsuit concerning an accident with a commercial truck, call Guerrero Law at 214-748-6565 or fill out our online contact form to set up an initial consultation.